Portland Monthly – Harpoon House

The August 2010 issue of Portland Monthly just came out and I am really excited about this tearsheet from it. This custom built modern home, nicknamed Harpoon House, designed by Matt Kirkpatrick and Katherine Bovee has only 704 square feet of livable space. Shooting was really cool experience because it felt much larger than that. It also made the shot list really short. I think the high ceilings and big windows really helped the space feel open. It’s amazing what you can do with good design.

Matt and Katherine did a fantastic job making the most of their 2500 lot, as well. The house is only 16 feet wide and 28 feet tall and that leaves space for a garden plot and a small yard. And the upstairs bedroom has an outdoor space with a green roof. Smart and eco-friendly. I’ve included an outtake that didn’t run in the magazine after the rest of the tearsheets.

Portland Monthly August 2010 - Harpoon House Habitat Feature

Portland Monthly August 2010 - Harpoon House Habitat Feature

8 comments
Add a comment...

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

• Gina08/03/2010 - 10:49 pm

So cool! I love how they used the space. I like living in small houses.ReplyCancel

• Ryan08/05/2010 - 12:05 pm

That place is pretty slick!! I love this style. There seems to be more and more of this popping up.ReplyCancel

• AltruWood08/05/2010 - 1:34 pm

Beautiful, beautiful photographs! We supplied the FSC Certified Cedar Siding for the exterior of the house, and have never seen it look so good!ReplyCancel

• Jon08/08/2010 - 8:26 am

Nice work! Obviously the house is amazing but I love how you chose to photograph the owners together in several of the shots (he, picking a book off a shelf, her outside on the patio in the corner of the frame, etc). I think it really illustrates the intimacy of a small space – two people are never really far apart when they live in such close quarters but yet are able to do things independently. I think you really captured the nature of the space and it’s occupants…ReplyCancel

• bitna08/10/2010 - 11:38 pm

Shouldn’t these be published in Dwell magazine? I’m gonna have to take one of your classes sometime soon. Really beautiful pictures.ReplyCancel

• Lincoln Barbour08/12/2010 - 10:07 am

Thanks Bitna. I’ll hopefully shoot for Dwell one of these days. I’m happy these ran in Portland Monthly, though. I’ve been shooting for them for 5 years and I always get great assignments from them.ReplyCancel

• Erik Bishoff08/27/2010 - 12:20 pm

Beautiful shots as usual and a very cool building! (bravo)
    @bitna: Lincoln class highly recommended!ReplyCancel