Parliament Interiors

LRB_090714_4243

Back in my early web design days, I worked in this tiny 800 square foot office with five other guys whose ages ranged from 21 to 60. Our wood laminate desks were back to back in rows, so you felt isolated even though you were two feet away. We had a white drop ceiling with fluorescent lighting and two windows that didn’t open. It was also in a loud industrial park for a phone company. Needless to say, it was a miserable place to work, but it was my first “real” job, so what did I know.

Fast forward 11 years when I go to meet Chris Erickson at his top notch design firm’s office in the OMCC Building. My jaw just dropped. Parliament is an amazing space and I was just blown away by how cool it was. If my office looked this good back then, I would never have quit.

The space is true a reflection of Parliament’s aesthetic of quality, clean design, and superb execution. A lot of thought went behind every detail in the spaces all spearheaded by Chris’s great design sense and collaboration with master carpenter Kyle Sharp. Everything from the slat walls to the pizza oven work table was crafted with amazing amount of care and effort. I really had a great time shooting the interiors and think we got some really good stuff. Check it out:

LRB_090714_4250

LRB_090714_4098

LRB_090714_4118
All the posters are original screen prints. Chris has a huge collection. This isn’t even a quarter of them.

LRB_090714_4127

LRB_090714_4078

LRB_090714_4091

LRB_090714_4147

LRB_090714_4186

LRB_090714_4208

LRB_090714_4199

LRB_090714_4225
How cool is this table?!?!

23 comments
Add a comment...

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

• damien08/13/2009 - 2:24 pm

place looks awesome. great pics.ReplyCancel

• Jason08/19/2009 - 6:33 am

How much / what kind of introduced lighting do you use when you shoot interiors?ReplyCancel

• Lincoln Barbour08/19/2009 - 2:49 pm

Hi Jason,

For this shoot, I used 650W Arri tungsten fresnel hot lights with half blue gels as my fill. It was easier to match the available light that way. But all the shots are mostly available light. Exposure times we’re around 3-4 seconds. This caused the pendant lamps to blow out and I had to drop in lamps from darker exposures.

In general though, I use very little fill light. Just a strobe or hot light here or there to brighten up the scene.ReplyCancel

• Michael09/30/2009 - 8:10 pm

Very nice series. White balance and exposure consistent throughout. Do you scout a location prior to the shoot to figure out lighting or just figure it out on the fly?ReplyCancel

• Lincoln Barbour09/30/2009 - 8:22 pm

Thanks Michael! I always try to scout when possible to get a shot list and a general idea of lighting. Every interior is different, but with this space I knew I would use the available light and add a little fill. My lighting approach is pretty minimal. I just add a little kick here and there to spice it up.ReplyCancel

• my01/20/2010 - 3:47 pm

Some of those stuff are really cool! I actually like the idea of not hiding the pipes and paint them all instead 🙂 wheither you like them colorfull, black or discrete in white, next ‘it’ will be installing fake pipes 😉
    Love the old printer!
    cheersReplyCancel

• […] say that I finally found the rest of the images in that set. Contemporist just posted the images by Lincoln Barbour that really show off how beautiful this office […]ReplyCancel

• Anonymous02/08/2010 - 5:06 am

[…] lindo seria tener un estudio asi, aunque sea laburar en un lugar asi WORK / Parliament Design Interiors / LINCOLN BARBOUR PHOTO no? […]ReplyCancel

• zty02/08/2010 - 5:52 am

Best workplace i´ve seen for a long time.ReplyCancel

• zty02/08/2010 - 5:52 am

whats the name of the office?ReplyCancel

• Lincoln Barbour02/08/2010 - 8:23 am

@zty I know, I wished I worked there. It’s called Parliament and thier website is http://www.parliamentdesign.com/ReplyCancel

• Cayako02/08/2010 - 2:43 pm

Cool spaces — the poor dead bear is depressing though … Nice use of color too.ReplyCancel

• ANA MARÍA HERNÁNDEZ02/09/2010 - 12:42 am

I love it.

Nosotros tenemos un estudio en Valladolid, España y nos encanta vuestro concepto.
    Enhorabuena!!

Ana
    Graphic designerReplyCancel

• Lincoln Barbour02/09/2010 - 8:31 am

Muchas Gracias!ReplyCancel

• luca02/09/2010 - 8:25 am

E’ bellissimo, complimenti piacerebbe anche a me lavorare in uno studio così…ReplyCancel

• Lincoln Barbour02/09/2010 - 8:32 am
  • johanna02/09/2010 - 12:43 pm

hello is very nice I like to know or you could buy the posters
    thank you…..ReplyCancel

• Lincoln Barbour02/09/2010 - 12:58 pm

Actually the posters are all original screen prints, so you can’t really buy them. It’s a personal collection from the owner of the office, Chris Erickson. Check out his site http://www.kindnessandhumility.comReplyCancel

• christopher02/10/2010 - 8:44 am

Hey Lincoln! Fantastic space. Simply amazing.

Quick question though. How are those original screen prints hung? They look seamless. Are framed, pinned…

cReplyCancel

• Chris Erickson02/10/2010 - 12:44 pm

The posters were purchased over the course of several years from dozens of folks, but some of my favorites came from Methane Studios http://methanestudios.com/ and Aesthetic Apparatus http://www.aestheticapparatus.com/.

They were hung by sandwiching the posters between 1/8″ non-glare acrylic (cut to the exact size as each poster) and the wall, drilling a tiny hole in each corner, and pushing a tiny straight pin through each corner. It does leave a small hole in the corner of each poster, but it is so clean that I’m fine with the holes.ReplyCancel

• Lincoln Barbour « burobraaf02/12/2010 - 10:51 am

[…] Lincoln Barbour Geef een reactie Momenteel geen reacties tot nu toe Geef een reactie […]ReplyCancel

• […] Photography by Lincoln Barbour […]ReplyCancel

• […] out a deal for him. (If you haven’t seen the shoot I did for Parliament, then you need to read this blog post.) I got my copy of the magazine a few weeks ago and it came out awesome. I highly recommend picking […]ReplyCancel